Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Graffiti Magazine Spread

In last term, we had to do a project in which we needed to construct a two page magazine spread, focusing on typography.  We had many different topics to choose from and I ended up going with "graffiti".  I chose this topic because I grew up and still listen to hip hop and in hip hop, graffiti is considered one of the four elements that make up the genre.  I also like graffiti because most artwork is very diverse because everyones still is so different.  Once I had my topic figured out, it was time to plan and design.

For this assignment, I used Indesign as the program makes it much easier to layout and design projects such as these.  After getting all my research and content figured out, I just needed to place things where I thought would look good.  This process to me was the hardest as the options are just so endless that I couldn't make up my mind.  I had three other concepts that I made but finally came up with the finished final layout and am really happy with it.  

Choosing "graffiti" as my topic, it was hard to find a good balance between looking too "crazy" and hard to read, and being too "clean" and not having that graffiti type feel.  I decided that being legible was the main priority over having that "crazy" graffiti look/feel to it and being too hard to read.  Overall, you want your audience to be able to read your article, otherwise there is no point in having it there.  I like the layout I created for the article page as it is easy to read, however, it still does have the "graffiti" feel to it.  The typography used for the pull quotes, as well as the pictures give it that "street" feel.  The finishing touch that I added was the spray can marks which I feel added the perfect edge to the piece.

Overal, I am really happy with the way the project turned out.  I was very unsure at first how I was going to be able to pull off this project without looking too clean or too crazy, but I feel that I pulled off the perfect balance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment